Half of the websites that you visit use generate revenue ads. Advertising actually one of the primary ways to monetize on websites. So that is the reason you see ads popping everywhere on most of the sites you visit daily. But that can be annoying after a couple of times and you just want it to stop. So we have a solution for you, with the name Adaway. This app is the best for blocking ads on Android.
There is no better app for blocking those pesky ads and it will eliminate them from the hosts itself. So there won’t be any more ads when you are looking for something on a browser. Adaway is a great app to try out if you want to block ads and don’t want to see them anymore.
There is one thing about the installation and using of the app that you will find interesting. The works so incredibly to remove ads that it needs superuser access. Some of you may have guessed that it means you need a rooted phone or tablet to use it.
Features of Adaway
Adaway blocks most of the ads in apps at the host file level. So it doesn’t come back to annoy you and you get rid of it permanently. The efficiency with which Adaway blocks ads is phenomenal. But it doesn’t quite remove the space that the ads used.
|Download Now||APK [New Version]|
|APK Size||5.72 MB|
|Last Updated||27 June 2018|
|Support Android Version||Android 4.2+|
Though you can use an Xposed Module in conjunction with this app to remove those spaces as well. Here are some of the features of Adaway that set it apart from other ad blocking apps.
- The main feature of this app is that blocks ads with the help of Host Files.
- It collects these host files from different locations and then combines them.
- Users can blacklist entire websites and they won’t see any ads on those sites.
- Similarly, they can also whitelist websites if they want to see ads on them.
- They can also black/white-list web servers and also add new host files.
- Moreover, the app also lets you choose your own sources of host files.
- Adaway has an option that helps you log DNS requests which help in the process.
- It requires root access because the host files are in the system partition.
- It is a free app and is of the open source nature so anyone can make changes in it.
- Adaway requires only Android 2.0 so it will work on almost all Android devices.
So this is a gist of what the Adaway app offers you. As you can see, it can easily be put on the list of the best ad-blocking apps. Next, we are going to see how you can download it on your Android device.
How to Download Adaway from Official Links
The most official source to download Android apps and games is the Google Play Store. It is the official marketplace for Android so users rely heavily on it. But unfortunately, Adaway is not available on the Play Store anymore. Though the original app is still hosted on F-Droid.
Because we are downloading it from a source other than Play Store, we need to enable Unknown Sources from Settings. You will find it in the Security section in the main menu.
- Click on this link to go to the official download page of Adaway on F-Droid.
- Once you reach the website, you will see a brief description of the app.
- Scroll down until you see a download button. It will be to download F-Droid.
- Ignore than and below it will be a simple link to download Adaway APK.
- Tap or click on it to download the APK file on your PC or your Android device.
- Once you have the APK on your device, simply tap on it to start the installation.
- It will be over before you know it and then you have to open the app.
- The app will now ask for superuser permission otherwise you won’t be able to use it.
That’s the whole procedure to download and install Adaway from official links. F-Droid is your safest bet and you should download it from there only. Don’t go wandering off to other sites and you might get an APK that might not work.
Adaway APK: Will it work after Download & Install
Of course, it will work after installation. You have no reason to doubt the Adaway APK file as F-Droid is the download source listed on the official website of Adaway itself. Moreover, the app doesn’t have many requirements to run. It only needs Android 2.0 above so I think that is not going to be any problem.
Well, that’s that and you need to know that downloading the APK file from other unreliable sources might result in virus or malware infecting your phone. Other than that, you need not worry about anything.
Adaway is not famous in the mainstream so not many users know about it. Also, it is a root-only app for blocking ads. So users always have questions about the app. We have compiled some of the most frequently asked questions so that you can get some help.
Ads in a particular App are not blocked
Adaway is still developing so not each and every app that you download will be supported. When ads in an app are not blocked, you will have to report the corresponding hostname. The guide to doing that can be found on the official site of Adaway.
Adaway doesn’t block ads while using Mobile Data
The app won’t work properly with Mobile Networks like 3G. In order to remove this issue, you will have to remove the proxy. Go to your selected APN and erase whatever value is in the proxy field.
Ads are not blocked in the Chrome browsers
This is a problem that users normally encounter while using the app. For the solution, you have to turn off the data compression proxy on Chrome. Here’s how you can do that.
An app stopped working while using Adaway
When and if an app stops working while using Adaway, you need to work your way around that. The developers made a list of apps that crash while using Adaway. They have also given a workaround for those apps. But if your app is not in that list, send a bug report and you will have the workaround pretty soon.
These were some of the common questions that users have asked about Adaway. There are a few more that you can check out on the official website which is adaway.org. Other than that, we are here to help if you need any.